- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup low-sodium beef or chicken broth
- 1¼ cups whole-wheat elbow macaroni
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and beef; cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, paprika, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and their juices, tomato sauce and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add macaroni and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 9 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with Parmesan, if desired
- To make ahead: Refrigerate goulash for up to 2 days. Reheat before serving.