CREAMY BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
- 5 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup white onion, diced (about 1/2 a large onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 cups milk (I used 2%)
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 3 1/2 cups chopped, fresh broccoli pieces
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 cups freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a medium dutch oven or saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté for 7 minutes or until the onions start to turn translucent.
- Add the garlic and thyme and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add the flour and continue to cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in the broth, nutmeg, bay leaves, milk, and half and half. Cook stirring frequently until the mixture just begin to bubble, about 6-9 minutes.
- Add the broccoli pieces along with the grated carrots. Allow the broccoli to get slightly tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, remove pot from stove, add in the cheddar and parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm with crusty French bread.