Easy Chicken and Rice
- 6-8 bone in chicken thighs with skin removed drumsticks work as well or a combo of both
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken stock we use low sodium
- 3/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup panko crumbs optional
- 2 teaspoons olive oil optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with non stick spray.
- To the baking pan, add: uncooked rice, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, lemon zest and juice of lemon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and melted butter.
- Toss skinned, bone in chicken thighs with 1 tablespoon olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Combine chicken stock and water in large microwave safe container and heat on high for two minutes. (I find a 4-6 cup glass measuring cup works great for this).
- Pour hot liquid over rice and vegetable mixture and stir.
- Nestle seasoned chicken onto rice and broth mixture.
- OPTIONAL: Combine 2 teaspoons olive oil and 1/3 cup panko crumbs and sprinkle on top of chicken.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to cook for another 15-20 minutes or until chicken is 165 degrees and rice is tender.
- (It is okay if a bit of liquid remain on top of the rice, it will absorb quickly when you take it out of the oven.)
- Fluff rice and serve!