French Melted Potatoes
- 1 stick butter, clarified or 8 tablespoons ghee, melted
- 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Clarify the butter—melt and let the white solids move to the top.
- Skim the white solids floating at the top with spoon and discard solids. It is important to use clarified butter so the potatoes don’t stick to pan.
- You can also melt store-bought ghee.
- In a 6” cast iron skillet or a French copper charlotte mold, put in 1⁄4 cup clarified butter, arrange potato slices around the pan,
- covering the bottom by making concentric circles
- Salt and pepper the potato layers, and sprinkle over a pinch of thyme.
- Pouring on a bit more butter or ghee, continue layering with potatoes, salt, pepper, and thyme until you have used all ingredients.
- Take a smaller pan with a flat bottom and press down to form the potatoes into a cake.
- Place the pan with potatoes on top of a sheet pan and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and press down on the potatoes again.
- Return to the oven for 25 more minutes.
- Remove to compress the potatoes a third time.
- Return to oven for 5 more minutes or until nice and browned.
- Invert onto plate and cut into wedges.