HEIRLOOM TOMATO GALETTE W/ HONEYED GOAT CHEESE, CARAMELIZED SHALLOTS, & FRESH THYME
- 1/2 cup Salted Butter
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour, sifted
- pinch of Salt
- pinch of Sugar
- 1/3 cup Cold Water – approx.
- 4 Shallots, diced (approx. 1 cup’s worth)
- 2 tsps Extra Virgin Olive Oil + more for drizzling
- 8 oz Goat Cheese
- 2 – 3 tbsps Honey
- 3 – 4 Heirloom Tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt & Coarse Black Peppercorn – approx.
- 2 tbsps Fresh Thyme
- 1 Large Egg, beaten
- Begin by preparing the dough. Using a handheld cheese grater grate butter into a small bowl, then freeze for 10 minutes. While butter freezes, combine flour, salt, and sugar in large mixing bowl.
- When ready, whisk cold grated butter into flour mixture until a mealy texture takes hold, then slowly begin adding water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough takes shape. Next, gather dough in a ball and transfer to lightly floured surface before shaping into a flattened round. Tightly wrap in plastic wrap, then refrigerate for 45 minutes until dough is firm and cold.
- While dough chills, in small skillet combine shallots and 2 tsps EVOO. Saute over medium-high flame until shallots are lightly caramelized (~10 minutes), then remove from heat to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, sprinkling the top with a touch of flour.
- With a floured rolling-pin roll out the chilled dough into a 1/8″ thick sheet, then transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet. Crumble goat cheese in a circular motion over the rolled-out dough, leaving a roughly 2″ border along the edges. Drizzle a heavy serving of honey over goat cheese, then evenly top with caramelized shallots. Next, liberally season sliced tomatoes with salt & pepper before layering over goat cheese and shallots. Generously drizzle additional EVOO over tomatoes, then lastly sprinkle with thyme.
- Fold up the edges of the dough around the tomatoes, then brush the crust with beaten egg. Bake galette for 1 hour* until the crust is golden and the tomatoes have begun to char, then cool for 2-3 minutes before serving.
>> Every oven is different, so begin watching the galette at the 45-minute mark for doneness.