HONEY LIME CHIPOTLE CHICKEN FAJITA BOWLS WITH CHIPOTLE LIME CREMA
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts pounded thin (3-4 chicken breasts)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic,finely minced
- 1-2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder (2 for spicier)
- 1 tsp EACH salt, ground cumin, smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)Fajita Vegetables
- Reserved marinade
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 red onion, diced **OR QUARTERED if grilling**
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced then cut into thirds **OR QUARTERED if grilling*
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced then cut into thirds **OR QUARTERED if grilling*
- 1 1/2 cups sweet corn (fresh canned or frozen-thawed) **OR 1 EAR CORN, shucked if grilling**Cilantro Lime Rice and Black Beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups long grained rice
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5 oz. can black beans,, drained and rinsed
- 1 dash salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoon lime juiceChipotle Lime Sour Crema
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (start with 1/4 tsp)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of cayenne (optional)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro, finely choppedCheese
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Marinade: Place chicken in a large freezer bag and pound thin with meat mallet (or with the side of a large can or rolling pin). Mix marinade ingredients in a medium bowl and add half of the marinade to the chicken in the freezer bag, place in refrigerator. To the remaining marinade, whisk in 1/3 cup honey. Add this marinade to another freezer bag and add fajita vegetables (including corn). Marinate chicken and vegetables separately 6-10 hours.
- Rice: When ready to cook, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add red onion and saute 3-5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and cumin and saute 30 more seconds (adding more oil beforehand if necessary). Add rice and saute for a few seconds. Add beans and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for approximately 20 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring at 15 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- Chipotle Lime Crema: While the rice is cooking, prepare Chipotle Lime Crema by mixing together the sour cream, lime juice, salt, cilantro and just 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder, adding more to taste. After adding desired chipotle powder, add cayenne if desired. Store in the refrigerator.STOVETOP DIRECTIONS
- Chicken: Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once skillet is very hot, remove chicken from freezer bag, discard marinade and add to skillet. Cook, undisturbed for 2-3 minutes, or until nicely browned on one side. Turn chicken over, cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook for approximately 5-8 more minutes (depending on thickness of chicken), or until chicken is cooked through. Remove to a cutting board and let rest 3-5 minutes before slicing.
- Fajita Vegetables: While chicken is resting, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the same skillet chicken was cooked in and heat over medium heat. Discard marinade from fajita vegetables and add to skillet. Cooked just until warmed through, stirring occasionally.
- Assembly: In bowls, layer rice, cheese, fajita vegetables, and chicken. Top with Chipotle Lime Crema.GRILLING DIRECTIONS
- Chicken: Let chicken sit at room temperature for 15-30 minutes (time permitting). Meanwhile, grease and preheat grill to medium heat, 375-450°F. Discard marinade from chicken and grill chicken undisturbed for 5-7 minutes per side, or until chicken is cooked through. (An inserted thermometer should read 165 degrees F.) Remove chicken from grill and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.Fajita Vegetables
- Discard marinade from fajita vegetables. Lightly coat bell peppers and onions with olive oil. String onions onto a skewer (let skewer soak 30 minutes if wooden), and grill both onions and peppers at medium high heat until slightly tender and lightly charred all over, about 10 minutes for the onions, 6 minutes for the bell peppers, flipping occasionally while cooking. Once cool enough to handle, slice into strips.
- Meanwhile, brush corn with olive oil and wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil. Grill for approximately 15 minutes or to desired tenderness – does not need to be cooked through – rotating occasionally. When cool enough to handle, cut kernels from ear of corn.Assembly:
- In bowls, layer rice, cheese, fajita vegetables, and chicken.
- Top with Chipotle Lime Crema.
Pages: 1 2