How to Cook Kare Kare
- 1 1/2 lb. ox tail
- 1 lb beef tripe
- 1 piece Knorr Beef Cube
- 1 bunch pechay
- 1 piece talong sliced
- 12 pieces sitaw cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced banana blossoms
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup annatto seeds
- 1/4 cup bagoong alamang
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 piece yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 quarts water
- Boil 1 quart water in a pressure cooker. Add oxtail and tripe. Continue to boil in medium heat for 20 minutes. Note: do not cover the cooker.
- Drain the water use to boil the beef. Pour 1 quart of fresh water into the pressure cooker. Cover and pressure cook for 25 minutes.
- Prepare annatto water by combining 1 cup of hot water with annatto seeds. Stir. Soak seeds for 10 minutes. Remove the seeds by filtering using a kitchen sieve. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot. Saute onion and garlic until onion softens.
- Pour beef stock into the pot. Note: this is the liquid used to pressure cook the oxtail and tripe. Let boil.
- Add peanut butter. Stir until well blended.
- Add Knorr Beef Cube. Stir.
- Pour annatto water into the pot and then add oxtail and beef tripe. Let the mixture re-boil. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch with 1/4 cup water. Stir. Pour mixture into the cooking pot. Stir.
- Add eggplant, banana blossom, and sitaw. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add pechay. Cover the pot and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve!