KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 8-10 (8-inch) flour tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken breasts until browned and cooked through.
- Remove from pan and shred into bite size pieces.
- Melt butter in same skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté until tender. Add bell peppers and garlic, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Stir in chicken broth, both soups, diced tomatoes and green chilies, salt and spices. Return the shredded chicken to the pan.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until mixture is heated through.
- Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish. Spread about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture in the bottom of the pan to coat.
- Layer with half of the tortilla strips.Top with half of the chicken mixture and 1 cup of cheese.
- Repeat layers once (tortilla strips, chicken mixture, cheese).
- Cover and bake at 350° for about 40 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for and additional 5-10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.