Loaded Bacon Split Pea Soup
- 1 lb. bacon
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 12 oz. split peas, rinsed
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy, 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and let cool, then crumble.
- Add onion, carrot, and garlic to bacon fat and cook until tender and golden, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add broth and split peas and let simmer, covered, until split peas are tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Serve garnished with parsley and bacon.