SALTED PEANUT CARAMEL SHORTBREAD CRUMB BARS
- 75g (⅓ cup) butter
- 50g (¼ cup) sugar
- 100g (1 cup) gluten free flour blend
- 400g (1 cup) condensed milk
- 1½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 80g (⅔ cup) salted peanuts
- 60g (½ cup) gluten free flour blend
- 20g (1 tablespoon) sugar
- 30g (2 tablespoons) butter (melted)
- 60g (½ cup) salted peanuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 300ºF (150ºC) and line a 8×8 baking tray with grease-proof paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the flour and mix until a dough forms.
- Push the dough out into the prepared pan, prick all over with a fork and then bake for around 15 minutes, just until the edges are browned
- (the rest of the base will be very pale and bubbling).
- Leave to cool and harden slightly. Turn the oven up to 350ºF (175ºC).
- Heat the condensed milk and sugar together on a medium heat for around 15 minutes (until the colour darkens and the mixture thickens).
- Remove from the heat, stir in the peanuts and pour over the crust.
- While the base is cooking, prepare the topping. Melt the butter and then add to the flour, sugar and salted peanuts.
- Stir until evenly mixed. Using your fingers, crumble the topping and sprinkle all over the top of the caramel.
- Bake for a further 15 minutes until the topping is starting to brown.
- Remove, allow to cool completely and then slice into small bits.
- Please note – the conversions from grams to cups may not be totally accurate.
- I use online converters so if you feel that something doesn’t seem right, it is a good idea to work out your own measurements.
Yields: 18 small bars