SLOW COOKER CUBAN MOJO PORK
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder (about 4 pounds) pork butt works as well)
- 11/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- Zest of 1 orange
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (lightly packed)
- Using a paring knife, make a few slits all over the surface of the pork. **See Note 1
- To the slow cooker, add the rest of the ingredients. Mix to combine.
- Place the pork in the slow cooker and cook on high for 5 – 6 hours or on low for 8 – 10 hours. *See Note 2
- The pork should be tender and almost falling of the bone!.
- Carefully remove it from the slow cooker and place it onto an aluminum foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 to 20 minutes or until browned.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- You will be able to shred the meat with a couple of forks, yes, it will be that tender!
- Serve with the remaining juices from the slow cooker *See Note 2
Note 1. You can place the pork and the rest of the ingredients and marinade for 4 hours or overnight.
Note 2. You can serve your pork with the cooking liquid from the slow cooker as is or you can add a cornstarch slurry to thicken it. This is how you do it:
As soon as you remove the pork from the slow cooker:
Skim some of the fat off the top
Mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of cold tap water
Add the cornstarch mixture into the slow cooker and mix to combine. Cook on high for 30 minutes (while the pork is in the oven). Serve with the pork.