SLOW COOKER SALISBURY STEAK AND MASHED POTATOES
- 1 pound ground beef 85/15
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs panko or regular
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon beef base (or 2 beef bouillon cubes, or skip)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed black pepper divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- parsley for garnish (optional)
- 6 russet potatoes scrubbed clean
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup whole milk or heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Mix the ground beef with breadcrumbs, ketchup, mustard, beef base (if using), 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt and half the black pepper.
- Form them into four patties and add the patties to a heavy skillet.
- Cook the patties on medium-high heat until browned on both sides, 4-5 minutes per side.
- Place the patties into 1/2 of the slow cooker.
- Add the butter to the pan and add the rest of the salt and pepper to the onions and mushrooms.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes, stir, then cook an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Add to the slow cooker on top of the cooked beef patties.
- Add a piece of 12?x12? inches of foil into half of the slow cooker.
- Place the clean and scrubbed potatoes into the slow cooker and press down tightly with another sheet of foil.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Uncover the foil and remove the potatoes. Peel if you’d like by rubbing off the skin with a paper towel or leave the skin on.
- In a bowl smash the potatoes with a potato masher.
- Add in the butter, sour cream, milk, salt and pepper and mash until desired consistency (I mashed the pictured potatoes for 1 minute).
- Add the potatoes back to the slow cooker in the foil still lining the bottom.
- In a cup mix the beef broth, 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce and one tablespoon of cornstarch and add it to the beef patties.
- Cook on high for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, optional.